Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

For the first timers to the popular Korean Jjimjilbang (찜질방 / 蒸氣房), the first step can be very daunting. Jjimjilbang are public bathhouses where showers and hot baths are gender-segregated, and facilities such as Korean traditional kilns, hot / cold rooms, games & tv rooms, restaurants are unisex. The thought of baring it all in front of strangers is a huge step to take for most of us, but once you cross that step, everything is worth it. 

Still have doubts? Read on for my guide to the Jjimjilbang experience.


One of my regrets I have during my 6-month stay in Korea is that I didn't go to jjimjilbang enough. My plan was to go at least once a week, but I ended up going only 5 times! The saunas I've been to are as follows:

Bongil Spa Land 봉일스파랜드
951-25 Euncheon-dong (28 Euncheon-ro) Gwanak-gu, Seoul, South Korea ‎
서울 관악구 봉천본동 951-25 (02-874-4900)

Dragon Spa 드래곤힐스파
40-712 Hangangno 3(sam)-ga Yongsan-gu, Seoul, South Korea ‎
서울 용산구 한강로3가 40-712 (02-792-0001)

Geo Spa 지오스파188-89 Deogam-dong (159 Palma-ro) Suncheon, Jeollanam-do, South Korea ‎
전라남도 순천시 덕암동 188-89 (061-741-5765)

Haeundae Spa Centre 해운대 온천 센터
1378-18 Jung-dong (16 Jungdong 2-ro) Haeundae-gu, Busan, South Korea ‎
부산 해운대구 중동 1378-18 (051-746-9614)

Entrance to dragon spa
Dragon Spa is the biggest spa in Seoul, with 8 levels of facilities. It is also a popular location for TV filming!

Step by step guide to the Jjimjilbang
The entrance fee to the jjimjilbang costs approximately 8,000krw - 12,000krw for 24 hours. The fees may differ depending on whether you are using the jjimjilbang (sauna facilities) or just taking a shower. The fees come with a set of clothes and towel. I usually pay for an additional set of clothes (about 1,000krw) and towel if I'm staying overnight, so that I can use 1 set for the sauna facilities and 1 set for sleeping. You will be given the key for both shoes & clothes locker.
After you have paid, go to the shoes locker room to keep your shoes. 

Depending on the spa, they may split up the entrance for males and females right from the shoes lockers. Once you are done, go to the gender-separated locker area to change into the spa clothes. Then you are ready to enjoy the sauna facilities!
Popular lamb hat (yang meori 양 머리) you see in Korean dramas and variety shows!
1-3. Fold the towel in from two sides.
4-5. Roll both ends of the towel equally until it fits your head snugly.
6. Ta-daaaa~ Complete!
Jae Eun, my yeo dongsaeng (younger sister) from my homestay family

There's different types of sauna facilities, and my favourite is the Korean traditional kilns (dry sauna) where the temperature can go up to 60 deg celsius! Handphones are not allowed in some of the facilities so do look out for the signs outside the kilns / rooms. 

You may also want to bring sheet masks to use while enjoying the facilities! 
 
Another must-try in the jjimjilbang - Shikhye 식혜, a sweet Korean rice drink that is good for cooling you down after being in the hot rooms for a while. It costs about 2,500krw to 3,500krw for one. Koreans usually drink this with hard-boiled eggs. Till now I still can't understand how they can eat so many eggs at one go!

Once you are done enjoying the sauna facilities, it is time to shower! If you intend to use the hot baths, please shower first before entering! Here comes the awkward moment where you take off all your clothes at your locker area, grab your toiletries and towel, and make a dash to the showers. But you will soon realise that no one bothers about what you are doing. It's also a common sight where friends or family members scrub each other's backs at the sitting shower areas. 
Once you are done showering, change into your clean set of clothes (if you got an extra set), and find yourself a good spot for your night's rest! There's usually a huge common area where you can watch TV, use massage chairs, eat or play PC games / arcade. 
I found a spot with a power plug so that I can charge my handphone overnight. Do take note not to leave your valuables lying around in case of theft! 

I was awaken by the spa ajussi in the middle of the night because I left my phone just next to my head. I'm a light sleeper but I didn't even notice what was going on with my surroundings! After that I kept my money and phone in a sling bag and had it on me while I was sleeping. 

Some spas provide mats for sleeping while others provide just thin blankets. Try to get a few mats / blankets if you're not used to the hard floor! 

Some other items that may be useful - eye mask, ear plugs, jacket / shawl / extra towel
And that's it! Sleep well! (잘 자요!) 

3 comments:

  1. Hello, could you give a review on geospa in suncheon? I will be going to sun cheon in december and would like to know if it is good or worth going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! If you have been to Dragon Spa in Seoul or Spaland in Busan, geospa can't be compared to them. It's your neighbourhood jjimjilbang with the basic facilities. It's still good especially on a cold winter day! Let me know if I can be of any help :)

      For other info on Suncheon, you can also refer to these posts:
      http://travellerelf.blogspot.com/2013/09/day-trip-out-of-seoul-suncheon.html
      http://travellerelf.blogspot.com/2013/10/day-trip-out-of-seoul-suncheon-suncheon.html

      Delete
  2. I missed that sauna (Jjimjilbang in Korean for 12yrs of working in Korea.. Almost every weekend I go to sauna overnight eventhough I'm alone to go there to relaks for the whole night..really can relax your mind. How I wish I can go back there again someday

    ReplyDelete

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib